Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:03:15 -0600 (CST)

Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> Build Process
> =============
>
> Classpath is not meant to live on its own;  it is either meant to be used
> as a class library for a compiler (e.g. jikes), or as a class library for
> a virtual machine (gcj, JikesRVM, SableVM, Kaffe, ...).
>
> It would be impractical (or even maybe impossible) to setup a *single*
> "classpath" installation on a user system, meant to be used by distinct
> VMs/compilers on this same system; one can simply think of the ever
> changing VM interface, VM-specific issues, etc.

Hmm, not sure I agree.

For example, JC uses a completely stock Classpath installation. JC
includes its own version of certain core classes and these classes
are inserted in the boot classpath in front of glibj.zip. All
Classpath's native libraries are used (or overridden) as-is.

Also, I'm worried that requiring the code associated with VM X
spread across two source trees (the VM's and Classpath) could make
maintenance more difficult.

However, I'm open to this change.. for JC it would just be a no-op.

> The objective:  Share as much code between "normal" VMs (that need nothing
> really special in base classes), and intuitive source file locations.

That's a worthy objective... sounds like an improvement.

-Archie