Configure / Automake library issues

From: Etienne Gagnon
Subject: Configure / Automake library issues
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 14:41:53 -0500

Hi,

I have 2 questions:

1- Why is the "-module" option explicitly provided in the
   lib*_la_LDFLAGS = xxx
   line of */Makefile.am ?

2- Currently, classpath uses "libtool" kind of versioning for its JNI
   libraries, yet, I do not understand why.  I see no reason for any
   C application to dynamically link with any of these *.so files.

See:
$ info "(libtool)Libtool versioning"

This kind of versioning is, IMHO inappropriate here.  I would instead
use "Release" versioning, as described in:

$ info "(libtool)Release number"

I would also use this same scheme for the released libclasspath.jar file
containing .class files, i.e.:

"make install" creates:  libclasspath-0.08+cvs.jar
it also creates a soft link:  libclasspath.jar -> libclasspath-0.08+cvs.jar

What do people think?

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.             http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/