Re: Rant [Was: Unresolved CVS conflict]

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: Rant [Was: Unresolved CVS conflict]
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:36:36 -0500

Thomas wrote:

I never tried subversion; but I still plan to do a pilot on it for my companies development team.

subversion's merging capabilities unfortunately aren't much more "automatic" than CVS. to be fair to both, if you are "very careful" with your assignment of branchpoint and mergepoint tags, you can get a reasonable merging experience with them.

but managing all those tags is a fragile pain, so people tend not to do it, or to make mistakes. that's a valid complaint; an automation system which is too hard to use is not much of an automation system at all. I'm working on a distributed VC system (http://www.venge.net/monotone) which is a hopefully a bit easier to use. I used it for the last gui -> classpath merge and it went well enough.

anyways, for the time being I don't think it's CVS per-se which is hurting classpath. I think we can live with CVS well enough for a while.

-graydon