Odonata+SableVM+Classpath works! (and bootclasspath question)

From: S. Meslin-Weber
Subject: Odonata+SableVM+Classpath works! (and bootclasspath question)
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:14:11 +0100

Hi everyone,

As reported on #sablevm I'm happy to say that Odonata[1] runs well under
SableVM. I haven't measured any speeds or memory usage but with regards
to visual output SableVM is on a par with GIJ (both use GNU Classpath,
I know, but I didn't want to assume that all JVM using GNU Classpath
would give the same results). I believe that the GNUClasspath AWT is the
cause of any visual/behavioural discrepancies I see when running Odonata
on SableVM (and GIJ) and on Sun's 1.4.2 Java2 SDK.

On a related note, I develop Odonata against Sun's 1.4.2 Java2 SDK and
make use of the -Xbootclasspath/p feature to prepend my classes ahead of
the JVM's own classes so that mine will be loaded in preference to any
default ones.

With SableVM I had to resort to extracting my jar file *over* SableVM's
core classpath installation. This is due to the bootclasspath argument
in SableVM seemingly not being able to take more than one path. Ideally,
Sun-like arguments to override, append or prepend to the bootclasspath
would be highly beneficial.

Thanks for the great work on SableVM!

Stephane

[1] Odonata is a set of 100% Java AWT peers for use with framebuffers.
    It is  released under the GPL and further information can be found
                at: http://odonata.tangency.co.uk