Re: jhbuild and classpath

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: jhbuild and classpath
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:49:10 -0400

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 06:13, James Henstridge wrote:
> On 5/04/2004 6:22 AM, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
>
> >Hi James,
> >
> >I've been experimenting with using jhbuild for GNU Classpath
> >development.  My compliments on jhbuild; it's a very nice tool!
> >

> Cool.  I put a fair bit of work into making jhbuild usable outside of
> Gnome (primarily for some of the freedesktop.org projects such as the X
> server), so it'll be good if it benefits you too.
>
> If you use a URL for the module set in ~/.jhbuildrc, jhbuild should
> download and cache the module information from

Oh, cool!  I was going to submit classpath.modules for inclusion in the
jhbuild repository, but hosting it at a URL is much better.

> >Our AWT implementation relies on GTK, so jhbuild is a natural fit for
> >us.  And it looks like jhbuild has the potential to make bootstrapping a
> >Classpath-based development environment dramatically simpler.
> >
> >I've run into one problem though.  In the GNU Classpath world, we prefer
> >to have builddir != srcdir, whereas it seems most GNOME modules, and
> >hence jhbuild, assume builddir == srcdir.  What do you think about
> >having a builddir != srcdir mode that could be set in .jhbuildrc?
> >

> Shouldn't be too difficult to implement.  What layout do you use for
> your source/build trees in this setup?

Usually we keep the build directory completely separate.  For example, I
have ~/sources and ~/build directories.

Ideally the layout would look like this:

~/sources/jhbuild-src/jhbuild
~/sources/jhbuild-src/module1
~/sources/jhbuild-src/module2

~/build/jhbuild-bld/module1-bld
~/build/jhbuild-bld/module2-bld

I like to append -bld to the build directories so that I can easily
differentiate them from the corresponding source directories.

Tom