Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues

From: Etienne Gagnon
Subject: Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 12:21:58 -0400

Jeroen,

Jeroen Frijters wrote:
>>IMO, the cleanest approach is really the use of a byte array.
>
> But it is inefficient and hard to optimize. I don't see why RawData
> doesn't give you the same capabilities as a byte array (as an extreme
> example, you can replace Classpath's RawData with your own version that
> wraps a byte array).

You miss an important point:  it *has* to be VM independent!  Classpath's
JNI libraries should be VM independent.  Do you expect RawData to work
with, e.g., Sun VM?

Note: We are *NOT* talking about the VM*.java interface, here.

Etienne
--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.             http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/