Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:26:48 +0200

Am Montag, 5. April 2004 18:50 schrieb Etienne Gagnon:
> Andrew,
>
> Andrew Haley wrote:
> > - Everyone who can use a long as a pointer (and, in practice, this
> > is everyone) will do so.
>
> It's *NOT* the VM interface!  There is a single JNI source code
> source base, used by everyone.
>
> So, there is no "SableVM" does it this way, gcj that way, and Kaffe
> the other. It has to work also with Sun VM, for example.

To be clear, gcj uses CNI. In CNI references are pointers and the
RawData reference is used as pointer to something (e.g. an address
space).

> AGAIN:  I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE VM INTERFACE.  I hope the message
> is clear!

We should come up with a portable way to do this in JNI. I think
everybody is aware of the fact that this is not the VM interface. We
just think that byte[] is not really straigt forward and some people
try to come up with something different. I think Andrew's solution
might be viable. His solution is already used in SWT. SWT runs with SUN
JRE so it seems to be portable enough for us.

Michael