Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues

From: Andrew Haley
Subject: Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:31:57 +0100

Etienne Gagnon writes:

 > Do we actually have to deal with platforms that have non 8-bit chars?
 > I guess quite a few other things/algorithms in the class library would
 > break if it is so...
 >
 > It's fine to be pedantic, but up to a point...
 >
 > FYI: The JNI specification guarantees that jbyte is an 8-bit signed value.

Yes, but it's not a question of whether the type jbyte is the same
size as a character type, but whether it is treated in the same way as
a character by the compiler.

I asked the question on the gcc mailing list.  (BTW: Alias set zero is
the set of types that may alias every other type.  In ISO C, character
types are in alias set zero.)