Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues

From: David Lichteblau
Subject: Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 22:57:44 +0200

Quoting Etienne Gagnon (address@hidden):
> I would really like to see the native counterpart of your opaque types and
> compare the "theoretical" performance of it relative to the byte array
> proposal.

Sorry if I lost track of the discussion, but when the proposal of an
abstract class for virtual machine data came up, I thought that one of
the reasons for this boxing was the portability to virtual machines of
any kind.  A byte array approach would have performance and design
implications not for JNI-based implementations, but for more exotic VMs
which do not have any native pointers at all (IKVM?).

Also, is this still about the Class.vmData slot?  I note that the
proposed java.nio patch already uses a RawData class.

d.
--
Common Lisp is the Borg of programming languages
        -- Bill Clementson