Re: Configuration class and --enable-native-sync

From: C. Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Configuration class and --enable-native-sync
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 21:32:59 -0400

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 17:56, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Steven Augart wrote:
> > > How about including all the build options in the Configuration class?
> > >
> > >     public class Configuration {
> > >       public static final String BUILD_OPTIONS = {
> > >    "--enable-jni", "--enable-load-library", ...
> > >       };
> > >     }
> > Perhaps we could include even the build options that automatically had
> > their default values set?  So, even if the user had not explicitly
> > stated "--enable-jni", we would still include "--enable-jni", since
> > it's the default?
> >
> > I'm trying to guard against the defaults possibly changing.  If we
> > were to, for example, one day make Classpath's default be
> > --enable-portable-native-sync, I'd still want Jikes RVM to correctly
> > read that the Classpath installation had that feature enabled.
>
> Agreed.. in general more info is better. E.g., why not also throw in
> the output of "uname -a", the classpath version, etc.

I'm not sure if the intention is to be able to tell prior to runtime
what the options were or if it is only necessary during runtime.  So it
would be easy enough to add something to the Configuration class, but I
thought folks wanted to not abuse it too much.  Another option perhaps
even in addition to is to simply add these to standard classpath
specific system properties at startup for use via System.getProperty()?
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>