Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues

From: Steven Augart
Subject: Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 08:20:54 -0400

If the RawData type were to be used, would you be able to share a Classpath installation with other Classpath-based virtual machines?

--Steve Augart

Jeroen Frijters wrote:
Steven Augart wrote:

If we were to do this in the GNU Classpath Java code, then the only solution I see is to use a preprocessor, and expand gpointer to an int or long as appropriate, based upon the standard pointer representation in that platform's usual ABI.

That wouldn't work for me. My (single) binary runs on both 32 and 64 bit
platforms. That's why I like using an object reference. BTW, I don't
actually store a native pointer in an object reference. I replace
RawData references with a native pointer type that the CLI support
(System.IntPtr). This is a primitive type, but it can also be boxed when
you assign it to an object reference.

--
Steven Augart

Jikes RVM, a free, open source, Virtual Machine:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/jikesrvm