Re: The Mauve unicode testcase and VM performance

From: David P Grove
Subject: Re: The Mauve unicode testcase and VM performance
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:43:31 -0400

Development Jikes RVM can take a while to build, but does buy some performance.  Probably not worth it for classpath development or mauve tests, but if you want to run some apps it can pay off.   I have prototype and development 2.3.2 images sitting around on my machine, so just for fun.

prototype:
address@hidden mauve]$ time echo gnu.testlet.java.lang.Character.unicode | rvm gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness -debug
Reading unicode database...
done
Benchmark : load:1580ms   tests:796ms
0 of 3578944 tests failed

development
address@hidden mauve]$ time echo gnu.testlet.java.lang.Character.unicode | rvm gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness -debug
Reading unicode database...
done
Benchmark : load:564ms   tests:700ms
0 of 3578944 tests failed

About 10% on the tests; About 3x on the load phase.

--dave