RE: The Mauve unicode testcase and VM performance

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: The Mauve unicode testcase and VM performance
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:38:54 +0200

Stuart Ballard wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > and overhead. Hope I have time next week to update it with
> at least rvm
> > development results and maybe IKVM ahead of time results
> (Jeroen, any
> > hints on how to do that in this case?)
>
> I don't know whether you have a zip/jar or individual classfiles but
> assuming it's a single jar file, presumably it would be (commands
> separated by blank lines - ignore any mailer-induced wordwrapping):
>
> mono ikvmc.exe -target:exe -out:mauve.exe -reference:classpath.dll
> -main:gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness mauve.jar

This is what I did:
#cd mauve
#mono ../ikvm/bin/ikvmc.exe -out:mauve.exe
-main:gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness `find | grep -v altered | grep
.*class$` -reference:../ikvm/bin/classpath.dll
#cp ../ikvm/bin/*.dll .
#time echo gnu.testlet.java.lang.Character.unicode | mono mauve.exe
-debug
Reading unicode database...
done
Benchmark : load:2151ms   tests:328ms
0 of 3578944 tests failed

real    0m2.979s
user    0m0.030s
sys     0m0.050s

On Windows I got:
C:\mauve>echo gnu.testlet.java.lang.Character.unicode| mono mauve.exe
-debug
Reading unicode database...
done
Benchmark : load:1763ms   tests:731ms
0 of 3578944 tests failed

C:\mauve>echo gnu.testlet.java.lang.Character.unicode| mauve.exe -debug
Reading unicode database...
done
Benchmark : load:180ms   tests:170ms
0 of 3578944 tests failed

C:\mauve>echo gnu.testlet.java.lang.Character.unicode| ikvm
gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness -debug
Reading unicode database...
done
Benchmark : load:180ms   tests:170ms
0 of 3578944 tests failed

So for the run time it doesn't make any difference if it is precompiled
or not, total time is a bit longer though (about 1.5 second versus 1.0
seconds).

Note also that IKVM running on the Microsoft framework is faster than
Hotspot (but overall elapsed time for Hotspot is less, about 0.7
seconds):
C:\mauve>echo gnu.testlet.java.lang.Character.unicode|
\j2re1.4.1\bin\java gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness -debug
Reading unicode database...
done
Benchmark : load:220ms   tests:250ms
0 of 3578944 tests failed

All tests are on a 1.7 GHz Pentium M, the Linux test was running in a
VMWare session.

> The other thing to try would be using Mono's --aot option
> to pre-JIT (as it were) the generated exe and dlls.

I couldn't get that to work.

Regards,
Jeroen