RE: Wrapping all native methods in VM... classes

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Wrapping all native methods in VM... classes
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:22:56 +0200

Ewout Prangsma wrote:
> In JNode we're also using a version of classpath, which I'm
> trying to get as close to the latest classpath version as
> possible.
> A topic that makes this difficult is that there are a lot of
> native methods in the normal classes (e.g. java.lang.Double).
> Since JNode does not use native method (except in 1 VM
> specific class), I'm stuck with lots of diffs.
>
> Is it possible to move all the native methods to these VM....
> classes so every VM can decide whether to use native or
> something else?

This is a (long term) goal for Classpath. It is somewhat complicated by
the fact that the people that really want this, don't use the Classpath
native JNI code, so they cannot test the rewritten JNI code on their own
VM. At least this is what's holding me back...

> If needed i don't mind to help out to get this done.

Patches are welcome, but I think they are unlikely to be accepted unless
you also modify (and test) the JNI code.

Regards,
Jeroen