RE: java.io.File and its native methods

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: RE: java.io.File and its native methods
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 00:00:29 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 20:57, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> Michael Koch wrote:
> > Here is another update.
>
> Many thanks! Looks great. As far as I'm concerned, please commit.

I agree that this looks nice. It is good to see that every VM/Platform
specific method takes a path as argument. I had thought we might need an
VM/Platform specific instance of PlatformFile, but your patch makes
clear that all you need is a path to the file.

It might be nice to make that explicit for these two methods.
If the arguments are actually 'paths' you might want to rename them to
darpath, targetpath and destpath.

+  /*
+   * This native function actually produces the list of file in this
+   * directory
+   */
+  static native String[] list(String dirname);
+
+  /*
+   * This native method actually performs the rename.
+   */
+  static native boolean renameTo(String target, String dest);

Also please make PlatformFile final. And give it a private no argument
empty constructor to indicate that it is never expected to be
instantiated.

If there are no Mauve regressions then please commit.