Re: [Jikesrvm-core] Re: gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Jikesrvm-core] Re: gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 17:41:35 -0700

Steven Augart wrote:

Michael Koch wrote:

What if someone wants to port GNU classpath to an Operating System with totally different semantics like Windows ?

If someone does that kind of port, he'll have more problems than just
than the size of a file descriptor.

I think Michael was being ironic.  I haven't checked the current
Classpath, libcj (which shares most of its code with Classpath)
certainly supports Windows.

I think the cleanest solution is to allows FileChannelImpl to be
subclassed, or to uses different classes that implement FileChannel.
But the current code works fine for now.

For JNI performance I don't see any reason not to not to have the
Java code pass the "native" fd field to the native method - just
realize that if/when Classpath gets ported to a system that
uses 64 pointers we may have to redo things.  One solution
may be to use the Posix API.

The Posix IO functions (open/read/write etc) are available on
Windows.  I don't know why they're not used - performance?
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/