Re: Classpath Swing development?

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: Classpath Swing development?
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:30:45 +0100

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 17:05, Valentin Chira wrote:
> > Hi Classpath-list,
> >
> > I am new to classpath and this mailing list, so first a big 'hello' to
> > everybody out there :-)
> >
> > I am developing a Java application, that uses a Swing-based GUI. (
> > http://ontographics.com/source/ )
> > I hope to get it someday working with free Java implementations. In
> > order to speed up this process, I plan to do some work on Classpath's
> > Swing stuff. So my question is, how to get started with this. I already
> > found a (trivial) task for me: implementing the
> > ImageIcon(java.awt.Image) constructor. I managed to check out the source
> > and compile my small change. Now, how can I test this? Which VM to use?
> > It should be a VM which can do this GUI stuff and which is easy to
> > integrate with Classpath CVS. Which one would you recommend?
> >
> > /Roman
> >

> I'd like to help too..but I don't have so much time and I found no document
> describing what I need and how to test the stuff that I do. I think
> classpath project would find much more programmers if a clear and well
> detailed "HOW TO HELP" tutorial would be available. Just my 2c.

The Hacker's Guide would appear to be just that:

http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/docs/hacking.html

This includes a list of VMs.  JamVM and IBM's RJVM use Classpath
directly.  The others make various changes, some of which are pretty
minor (SableVM's testing version merges with Classpath every few days).

The guide probably could be more prominently displayed on the front
page, rather than hidden away in docs (unless I've missed another
reference to it).  If there are issues not covered here, you should
raise them on the list so they can be added.
--
Andrew :-)

Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn.