Re: Classpath Swing development?

From: Thomas Zander
Subject: Re: Classpath Swing development?
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 22:40:28 +0200

Since you asked :)

On Monday 24 May 2004 20:30, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>   If there are issues not covered here, you should
> raise them on the list so they can be added.

What is missing is a guide or download that makes it possible for JAVA
programmers to start hacking. As soon as gcc, automake and autoconf come
into play you loose 75% of your potential hackers-market for any Java
project.

A snapshot with generated makefiles, and an included libtool would be a
very good start.

On the hacking guide point 6.1, for the following item;

Don't use redundant modifiers or other redundant constructs. Here is some
sample code that shows various redundant items in comments:
/*import java.lang.Integer;*/
/*abstract*/ interface I {
   /*public abstract*/ void m();
   /*public static final*/ int i = 1;
   /*public static*/ class Inner {}
}
final class C /*extends Object*/ {
   /*final*/ void m() {}
}

The one who wrote this obviously has no idea that
        public void bla()
is very different from
        void bla()
and
        class x{  int i=1; }
is very different from:
        class x{  public static final int i=1; }
an inner class is also not static by default.

An additional item for the coding style should be a note that if you
implement equals() then you should also implement hashCode();

What I also miss is the ordering inside a class; what I see most of the
java community do is to put static fields first, then normal fields, then
constructors, then private/protected constructors, then public get/set
style methods, then normal public methods, then private methods, then all
static methods, then non-static inner classes, then static inner classes.
This is what the industry uses; I don't really care what the standard is in
GNU classpath, but I surely would like to see a coding convention.

- --
Thomas