Re: Classpath Swing development?

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Classpath Swing development?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 12:00:10 +0200

Hi Valentin,

Valentin Chira wrote:
What is this FSF all about? I mean I know what it is but can't we contribute
without all that paperwork? What if people live in Mongolia and wanna help?
Is there a way?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html :)

The FSF wants to be able to enforce the license on FSF's software (like GNU Classpath). Since the free software licenses from the FSF like the GPL work via copyright, they need to have the copyright for the work in question.

It's one sheet of paper where you claim ownership of your code, and transfer the copyright to the FSF. You get a right to license the code as you see fit (as far as that's within your choice) to third parties.

If copyright assignment to the FSF is something you don't feel comfortable with, you might want to contribute to one of the runtimes listed on the GNU Classpath page instead. Most of them are not copyrighted by the FSF, and I believe that many of them don't have a copyright-assignment scheme or requirement.

cheers,
dalibor topic