Re: java.io.File#toURI()

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: java.io.File#toURI()
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 13:39:00 -0400

Jeroen Frijters wrote:
Otherwise the "c:\foo.txt" style paths are handled incorrectly. For new
File("c:\\foo.txt").toURI().toString(), Sun returns "file:/c:/foo.txt".

Of course, there are also the UNC paths, which are even worse.
\\server\share\file is turned into file:////server/share/file by Sun.
Maybe this method needs to move to VMFile. Sigh.

No, don't do that!

The solutions for Windows are different than for Unix, but that's no reason to have to reinvent the wheel in every VM on those platforms. Remember that even IKVM can be used on Unix and there are other Classpath VMs that can run on Windows (I think).

I agree it's important to get file path handling in general solved correctly for Windows (last time I checked the methods for getting the absolute path of a file were broken on windows too), but the solution should be part of Classpath itself, not any particular VM.

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Senior Web Developer
NetReach, Inc.