Re: Working On Classpath

From: Arnaud Vandyck
Subject: Re: Working On Classpath
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 23:02:06 +0200

Andrew John Hughes <address@hidden> writes:

> [...] Given the length of time that the Free Java projects have now
> been active, it amazes me that so little consideration is given to
> alternate VMs and compilers by the Java community, especially for
> FOSS.

Sun and IBM are the most contributors of open source java
community. Most of Jakarta, Netbeans, Eclipse, Jikes, Tomcat, Xerces,
Xalan, etc. Why do you want them to use JVM they do not ship? or they do
not certify? Certification is an important thing for Sun (and for their
customers).

Also, because of Sun not making java a 'standard' (iso, ecma, etc.), and
java not being free, free community had (or had had or has had?) a lack
of interest in java. So most people hacking on free java (or open source
java) projects comes from WinWorld. It's amazing to see the commits,
call for help, etc on jakarta mailing lists... most users run
Windows. Same thing on a lot of Open Java projects on Sourceforge.

Now, with the progress of free JVM's (and yes, you can apt-get kaffe
;-)), maybe the FOSS community will have some interest in this wonderful
programming language.

Correct me if I'm wrong,

Arnaud Vandyck

< jaybonci> actually d-i stands for "divine intervention" ;)
                -- in #debian-devel