Re: Working On Classpath

From: Arnaud Vandyck
Subject: Re: Working On Classpath
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 23:06:25 +0200

Thomas Zander <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wednesday 26 May 2004 23:47, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>>  Given the
>> length of time that the Free Java projects have now been active, it
>> amazes me that so little consideration is given to alternate VMs and
>> compilers by the Java community, especially for FOSS.
>
> The free-java projects have made a bad start; when I just started using
> Java I tried kaffe and Jikes. Kaffe was totally unusable; and since I
> still can't apt-get it, its not on my radar.  (I'm wondering how many
> distro's ship kaffe.)

Using Debian? good thing ;-)

Yes, you can apt-get kaffe (1.1.4) and the pre 1.1.5 should be out soon
(waiting for ftpmasters to accept it)!

You can also apt-get jikes, gcj, gij, classpath, and they are pretty
up-to-date ;-)

Other distro's? There are other distro's? ;-)

Arnaud Vandyck

Packages should build-depend on what they should build-depend.
                -- Santiago Vila on debian-devel