Re: RFC: Require VM to provide JNI 1.2 support?

From: Steven Augart
Subject: Re: RFC: Require VM to provide JNI 1.2 support?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:18:29 -0400

Steven Augart wrote:
Mark has suggested that it might be a good idea for the next release
of GNU Classpath to require that the VM provide JNI 1.2.  He's asked
me to post this Request for Comments on the idea.

Jikes RVM has now (as of this morning) joined the list of VMs that support JNI 1.2. Since it's trivial to add JNI 1.4 support (the JNI 1.4 functions don't really have to be implemented), we support that too. So I support the changeover, and would further support a changeover to JNI 1.4.

(Full disclosure: There are some JNI features we don't implement. Our JNI bug list and wishlist is at http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/bugs/index.php?group_id=95&set=custom&_assigned_to=0&_status=1&_category=168&_bug_group=100&SUBMIT=Browse If someone has been looking for a way to get involved with Jikes RVM, tackling any of these would be useful.)

--Steve Augart

--
Steven Augart

Jikes RVM, a free, open source, Virtual Machine:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/jikesrvm