RE: JDK 1.5 support?

From: David Holmes
Subject: RE: JDK 1.5 support?
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 07:34:26 +1000

> Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> If we don't have some 1.5 support, we risk the problem of not being able
> to compile Java applications that use the new language features of 1.5,
> because the support in these basic classes is missing.

The new language features generally require additional class libraries,
modifications to existing classes, additional information in the classfile
or some combination of all three. In principle you could back-port some
things (like Enum support) to 1.4 VM's - but they tend to interact with
other new features. All-in-all I think you'd have to go for an all-out
effort to support all of the classes needed for the new language features.
It would be difficult to try and integrate them in isolation.

David Holmes