Re: Supporting multiple APIs simultaneously

From: James Damour
Subject: Re: Supporting multiple APIs simultaneously
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:30:24 -0400

As much as I respect the difficulties involved (the ones Dalibor
enumerated so clearly), my thinking matches up with what Andrew said.  I
think that Java developers need a "stable" environment to code against,
and Classpath is closest to providing "stable" for v1.1.

I understand that this is more than a matter of getting enough resources
pointed at the problem, and that our work may become overcome by outside
events (i.e. Sun may release J2SE under GPL), but with Mono releasing
v1.0, FLOSS Java may lose its chance.  I think that we need to set
concrete goals if we hope to get people contributing.

If IBM and Bea are interested in an Open Source J2SE, can't we petition
them to throw some manpower behind our efforts?  After all, we're
tantalizingly close with gcj and kaffe.
--
James Damour (Suvarov454) <address@hidden>