RE: Eclipse 3.0

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Eclipse 3.0
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:43:08 +0200

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> OK, finally found it. Eclipse does some really nasty URLStreamHandler
> tricks. It seems to depend on us NOT trying to find a new
> URLStreamHandler when the URL.set() method is called. Kind of makes
> sense if the protocol isn't changed. So doing something like:
>
>   if (!this.protocol.equals(protocol))
>     {
>       URLStreamHandler protocolHandler =
> getURLStreamHandler(protocol);
>       [...]
>
> Gets us a little further.

Thanks! This allows M9 to start up successfully for me! Inspired by this
success I downloaded the 3.0 release, but unfortunately that still
doesn't work and bizarelly enough it dies with the exact same
NullPointerException that M9 died with before this fix. Sigh...

> Then you will hit the fact that we don't have a real nio FileLock yet.
> But you can work around that with -vmargs -Dosgi.locking=none
>
> Then we hit:
>
> javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfigurationError:
> Factory class
> com.icl.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl not found
>    at javax.xml.transform.ClassStuff.createFactory
> (ClassStuff.java:141)
>
> Since they decided not to automagically include their own XML stuff
> since M9... So you need libxmlj or something like xalan added to your
> bootclasspath. I tried that, but I now have jamvm crashing. Rebuilding
> libgcj with the above patches now. But first some sleep.

I don't think that's new to M9, I've had to start 3.0 with the following
command line for as long as I remember:
eclipse -vm c:\ikvm\bin\ikvm.exe -vmargs
-Xbootclasspath:C:\xalan-j_2_6_0\bin\xalan.jar;C:\xalan-j_2_6_0\bin\xerc
esImpl.jar;C:\xalan-j_2_6_0\bin\xml-apis.jar

BTW, what Eclipse version are you using?

Regards,
Jeroen