Re: Eclipse 3.0

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Eclipse 3.0
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 12:31:31 +0200

Hi Anthony,

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 08:00, Anthony Green wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 17:09, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > Since they decided not to automagically include their own XML stuff
> > since M9... So you need libxmlj or something like xalan added to your
> > bootclasspath. I tried that, but I now have jamvm crashing. Rebuilding
> > libgcj with the above patches now. But first some sleep.
>
> I got Eclipse 3 to start up on gij with a very tricky command line:
>
> GCJ_PROPERTIES="java.version=1.4.2_05"
> LD_PRELOAD=/home/green/install/jhbuild-inst/lib/lib-org-apache-xalan.so
> ./eclipse -vm gij -consoleLog -debug -vmargs -Dosgi.locking=none
>
> Forcing java.version is important because Eclipse barfs on "3.5.0".
> The LD_PRELOAD trick loads xalan and friends into memory before I start
> gij.  I don't know why gij isn't finding this on it's own.

Hurray! I also saw your screenshot on the Planet.
(http://classpath.wildebeest.org/planet/)
It really brought a smile on my face this morning!
I assume this is from your jhbuild that you are also promoting for
building java-gnome? http://spindazzle.org/java-gnome/

> I made a couple of tiny tweaks to URL.java, but I don't know if they
> made a difference.  I'll clean up the patches later, but if you poke
> around, you'll see that we're not always using lower case converted
> protocol strings when we should be.

And I assume you are using my line-number patch?
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/2004-q2/msg00411.html
(Note that the failure mentioned in that email was not because of this
patch. Bryce fixed the real issue already on gcj HEAD.)
The only important part of that patch is the interpret.cc compile fix.

We really should get all these patches into CVS ASAP.
Or setup a new jhbuild and/or merge with one of of the jhbuilds to
include all these things.