RE: Eclipse 3.0

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Eclipse 3.0
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 14:04:54 +0200

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > Thanks! This allows M9 to start up successfully for me!
> Inspired by this
> > success I downloaded the 3.0 release, but unfortunately that still
> > doesn't work and bizarelly enough it dies with the exact same
> > NullPointerException that M9 died with before this fix. Sigh...
>
> Great! Did you also make the fix that I suggested as reply to
> one of the emails from Roman? Our URL.getPath() follows the spec,
> which is not what eclipse expects...

Thanks again! I forgot that one. The release now runs as well!

> -Xbootclasspath:C:\xalan-j_2_6_0\bin\xalan.jar;C:\xalan-j_2_6_
> 0\bin\xerc
> > esImpl.jar;C:\xalan-j_2_6_0\bin\xml-apis.jar
>
> That was really special for ikvm (and precompiled native eclipse with
> gcj). They at least tried to do something horrible to get it working
> automagically (although bending the spec horribly by retracting a jar
> from a URL/Delegating ClassLoader and depending on super lazy class
> such tricks now.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that wasn't it. In 2.x they played some weird
class loader tricks, that IKVM initially had problems with, but nowadays
IKVM has support for that as well (by emitting reflection based code
when non-existing classes are referenced).

> It is good to see both Anthony and you able to get it starting up now.
> That means my Classpath library work is done ! :)

Yep and much appreciated.

Some things I'm seeing:
- New Java Project => Eclipse dies (just disappears without any
messages)
- Opening Existing Java Project => Java Source Editor doesn't work

Exceptions in the log:
org.eclipse.jface.util.Assert$AssertionFailedException: null argument;
        at org.eclipse.jface.util.Assert.isNotNull (Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.jface.util.ListenerList.remove (Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.jface.resource.ResourceRegistry.removeListener
(Unknown Source)
        at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.JavaPlugin.uninstallPreferenceStoreBackwards
Compatibility (Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.JavaPlugin.stop (Unknown Source)

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.CompilationUnitEditor
        at java.lang.ExceptionHelper.initCause (Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassNotFoundException.<init> (Unknown Source)
        at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass (Unknown
Source)
        at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.adaptor.core.AbstractClassLoader.loadClass
(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass (Unknown Source)
        at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.adaptor.core.AbstractClassLoader.org.eclipse.
osgi.framework.adaptor.BundleClassLoader/loadClass (Unknown Source)
        at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.loadClass (Unknown
Source)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.loadClass
(Unknown Source)
        at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadClass
(Unknown Source)

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at gnu.java.text.BaseBreakIterator.current (Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.JavaBreakIterator.<init>
(Unknown Source)
        at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.JavaEditor$NavigatePreviousSubWor
dAction.<init> (Unknown Source)
        at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.JavaEditor.createNavigationAction
s (Unknown Source)

Regards,
Jeroen