Re: [Classpathx-discuss] More Java Extensions

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] More Java Extensions
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:19:39 +0200

Andrew John Hughes wrote:
On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 12:41, Dalibor Topic wrote:

Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

Andrew John Hughes <address@hidden> writes:

Hi all,
        I don't know if anyone here has heard about the recent release of Sun's
Project Looking Glass under the GPL.  Its no doubt a good sign to see
Sun releasing this interesting project under a true Free Software
license.  However, the Java code still depends on a couple of Java
extensions, namely Java 3D and Java Advanced Imaging.  I was wondering
if anyone knew about the possibility or the existence of an effort to
create Free Software implementations of these libraries?  Having these
would mean that Project Looking Glass would be more likely to run on a
Free platform.  At present, it is tied to proprietary Sun licenses, even
if the main code is under the GPL.

I'm not sure but maybe some developpers on classpath project already
work on this.

There is a free vecmath implementation, Bryan posted a link to it a few days ago, when the Java3d subject came up for the first time. There is no free software implementation of the Java3d apis, afaik. I doint't think there is a free implementation of JAI, yet, either. If you're looking for a nice project ... go for it :)

cheers,
dalibor topic

I've only just subscribed to classpathx, so I missed that thread -- I'll
browse the archives for it.  I'll give this until after next week (for
which I'm away for most of) to circulate, and then hopefully crack on
with doing this if its still viable.  I'm particularly concerned as to
any legal issues anyone knows about concerning this -- is there any
reason why this couldn't be attempted on these grounds?  On a lighter
note, any suggestions for running such a project? :-)

Vecmath is available from

http://www.objectclub.jp/download/vecmath_e

under this license:
/*
   Copyright (C) 1997,1998,1999
   Kenji Hiranabe, Eiwa System Management, Inc.

   This program is free software.
   Implemented by Kenji Hiranabe(address@hidden),
   conforming to the Java(TM) 3D API specification by Sun Microsystems.

   Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this software
   and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee,
   provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and
   that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear
in supporting documentation. Kenji Hiranabe and Eiwa System Management,Inc.
   makes no representations about the suitability of this software for any
   purpose.  It is provided "AS IS" with NO WARRANTY.
*/

According to the page above, there was once a free implementation of java3d available at http://members.linuxstart.com/~jfreed/ but it doesn't seem toexist any more. Fortunately, archive.org has saved a copy of the page on http://web.archive.org/web/20001012122624/http://members.linuxstart.com/~jfreed/

Jean-Christophe Taveau has been last seen on the newsgroups here http://groups.google.com/groups?q=jc.taveau&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3DF9A91A.8070907%40pobox.com&rnum=1

Regarding legal things, java3d seems to be covered by some patents. See http://www.3dcompression.com/patents.phtml for details. I have no idea how important 3d compression is for Java3d, but since you asked ;)

I still haven't found any free implemenmtaiton of JAI, though.

cheers,
dalibor topic