Re: [Classpathx-discuss] RE: On Java and open source

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] RE: On Java and open source
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:25:56 +0200

Mark Wielaard wrote:
Hi,

But maybe all this talk about compatibility will at least lead to the
Kaffe team finally getting access to the TCK on reasonable terms. And
after the release (waiting for some feedback from the Jikes RVM hackers)
we should try to explain the JCP pitfalls again now that there is an
explicit invitation of "joining". I sometimes just need to be convinced
that Sun is sincere in these dialogs.

I'll ask the JDK 1.5 (or is that 5.0 now? :) JSR spec lead again about what terms the TCK will actually fall under. The JSR says that they want to detangle it from the runtime code [1], but it lacks any details.

I figured that writing to people at Sun during JavaOne is lost time, from my experience of replying to Simon Phipps' e-mails before he went to FISL. Haven't got a reply on these yet, either. :) So, I'll let everyone at Sun cool down after the conference, wade through their spam, and bring up the 'so what are the new TCK licensing conditions going to be like' question again end of the week.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] No idea why someone would tie a conformance testing kit to a particular implementation. I belive I read somewhere that Sun's verifier code was lurking deep in the TCK, among other things.