Re: Patch: merge File.toURI() from Classpath

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: Patch: merge File.toURI() from Classpath
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 14:09:44 -0400

David Daney wrote:

Does it say somewhere that we cannot add public methods while
maintaining compatibility with Sun's implementation?
Yes, this is one of the "license terms" of the Java specification. Although we do not (can not) meet the other conditions of this license, the goal of the classpath project is to provide a class library that is compatible with the Java specification. Adding new public APIs to the core classes would mean that classpath is no longer compatible.

It doesn't seem like a good idea to use an unsuitable exception type
just because its API has a slightly more elegant constructor.
I do not believe that RuntimeException is unsuitable. It seems a better match than InternalError.

Regards

Bryce

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/relnotes/license.html