0.10 release status update

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: 0.10 release status update
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:20:12 +0200

Hi all,

A little update. We are almost, really ready. But I forgot how much time
generating the API doc takes. And I hadn't counted on the Americans
taking the Monday off. Silly, inconsiderate European...

Quickly talked to Steven Augart on irc and we got JikesRVM working much
better with classpath-0.10-pre1 out of the box now. But still there is
some trouble with AWT programs. He will try to look into this. If we
have something simple and easy tomorrow then I like to get it in before
we release. But if it will be much work then we are better of just
releasing as is. (Next release again in two months. I am sure they will
catch up.)

Also happy to say that some testing by Michael Koch showed the
gcjwebplugin working out of the box with the 0.10 pre-release snapshot!
Although there are certainly still lots of bugs in our AWT
implementation it does work for some random applets out there.

Both GNU Crypto and Jessie compile and seem to work, but I didn't do
extensive testing. (Had hoped to get https connections working
automatically with our applet viewer, but unfortunately hit a bug in
Jessie X509Certificate it seems.)

I also quickly tried out inetlib to see if that works correctly.
We do automatically pick up the URLHandlers provided by inetlib, but not
everything works correctly yet. This is one blocking issue:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=8991
In general URL.getContent() seems not to work properly.

But all in all we are not in a bad shape.