Re: A query on the classloader architecture

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: A query on the classloader architecture
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:06:10 -0500 (CDT)

Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> > The Sun API spec clearly states that Class.getClassLoader() may return
> > null, and in fact MUST return null for primitive type Class objects.
> > So why worry about obviously buggy software?
>
> Because most software is buggy? If something runs on the Sun VM and it
> doesn't run on my VM, do you think the user cares about who's bug it is?

Sun's VM returns null for the boot loader.. here's an example:

    $ cat > xx.java
    public class xx {
            System.out.println(Object.class.getClassLoader());
        }
    }
    ^D
    $ javac xx.java && java xx
    null
    $ java -version
    java version "1.4.2-p5"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.4.2-p5-archie_18_nov_2003_16_43)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-p5-archie_18_nov_2003_16_43, mixed
mode)

Are there some cases where Sun's Class.getClassLoader() doesn't
return null but other VM's do?

-Archie