Re: A query on the classloader architecture

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: A query on the classloader architecture
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:52:17 -0400

Jeroen Frijters wrote:
I'm sorry, but you lost me. I clearly don't understand what you mean.
Can you please clarify your original statement (the one I quoted above)?

I think the point is that Sun's VM returns null for stuff that (in IKVM) comes from IKVM.GNU.Classpath.dll, but not for anything else. In particular, Sun's VM will never return null for the classloader of any application code.

Perhaps a simple rule that might have the effect you want would be to use the null classloader for the following assemblies:
1) IKVM.Runtime.dll
2) IKVM.GNU.Classpath.dll
3) IKVM.JNI.*.dll
4) Anything in the GAC

and a non-null classloader for everything else.

Am I right that assemblies in the GAC must never have references to other assemblies that aren't? And that IKVM-compiled Java assemblies are never suitable for GACing? If both these things are true, then no class in the set listed above can ever refer to any class outside that set (assuming the references of the IKVM assemblies are limited to each other and stuff in the GAC).

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Senior Web Developer
NetReach, Inc.