Re: A query on the classloader architecture

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: A query on the classloader architecture
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:44:06 -0500 (CDT)

Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > >
> > > Because most software is buggy? If something runs on the Sun VM and it
> > > doesn't run on my VM, do you think the user cares about who's bug it is?
> >
> > Sun's VM returns null for the boot loader.. here's an example:
>
> I'm sorry, but you lost me. I clearly don't understand what you mean.
> Can you please clarify your original statement (the one I quoted above)?

Hmm.. you mean the statement "Sun's VM returns null for the boot loader" ?
Otherwise I'm not sure what you're asking me to clarify...

What I meant by "Sun's VM returns null for the boot loader" was
that the method Class.getClassLoader(), when invoked on a Class
instance associated with a Java class that was loaded by the bootstrap
loader, returns null when executed on Sun's JDK.

As an example of this, I provided a short program demonstrating how
this is true for the specific case of the class java.lang.Object.

-Archie