Eclipse Javac?

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Eclipse Javac?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:52:20 -0400

I found a few posts in the archives indicating that people have successfully built the Eclipse Java compiler in a Free environment. I wasn't quite sure from reading the postings whether this was done with a Classpath-based VM or with gcj, but I think most of the gcj hackers are here too and I'm not subscribed to the gcj list (sorry).

I'm working on something that could really use a good, free Java compiler written in Java, and I thought eclipse-javac was worth evaluating. But I'm not sure where to even start trying to build it - the debian source package is for the whole of eclipse, and looking in that tarball it wasn't even obvious where the Java compiler was located. Furthermore, eclipse apparently requires eclipse to build, which is a dependency I'd rather avoid (at least for now).

If anyone's successfully built eclipse-javac as a standalone compilation (or has any insight on where I should start trying to figure it out) I'd really appreciate any tips.

Thanks,
Stuart.
--
Stuart Ballard, Senior Web Developer