license question

From: Ben Hinkle
Subject: license question
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:23:48 -0400

I'd like to port the Collections implementation in Classpath to another
language called D that is very similar to Java and I'm trying to figure
out the Classpath license. My question is simple: what license would
such a port fall under?

It looks like Classpath uses the GPL (not LGPL) with the "special
exception" which states that if one links statically *or dynamically* to
the classpath library that the sum is governed by the GPL. But then
there is the statement that "independent modules" aren't governed by the
GPL. So I interpret that to mean "independent modules" are ones that
aren't linked statically or dynamically with Classpath. I'm not even
sure what those are. I'm guessing that using the classpath jar and class
files are not considered dynamic linking? The D language doesn't use
class or jar files so users would have to statically or dynamically
link. As the tools stand now they would be statically linked. Am I
correct in reading this whole thing that any such port would mean any
code that uses the library would have to be GPL?

Thanks,
Ben