Re: About locale data ... (again)

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: About locale data ... (again)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:11:15 -0400

Guilhem Lavaux wrote:

As we always need a good locale database for GNU Classpath, I was thinking of a way to get it. The ICU locale converter is only partially satisfying as it does not have any collation rules generator (at least). I've seen that www.openi18n.org[1][2] has begun a new standard file format to interchange locale data. It is purely written in XML form and looks well documented. On IBM[3], we can find the locale database waiting to be converted.

As it is written in XML it should be fairly simple to write a parser in Java for these data. Once it is parsed, we can (I hope) all the same generate the Java classes/properties corresponding to our internal representation.

I may start soon (one/two weeks) to build the parser.

Is there someone against it ?

No, I think this is an excellent idea. Its something I've wanted for a long time too.

One issue to consider is whether the compiled locale data should be represented by properties files or java source files. Currently libgcj's locale date uses java files, but this has been a bit inefficient in terms of space used in the compiled .so. However, this overhead should be reduced with the BC-ABI, so if .class files are preferred for other VMs then I wouldn't be opposed to continue doing it this way.

Regards

Bryce