Re: End of the month - where is the new snapshot?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: End of the month - where is the new snapshot?
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:48:17 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 10:18, Chris Burdess wrote:

> > Archie> I agree.. Classpath should avoid trying to duplicate work that
> > Archie> can easily be obtained (freely, of course :-) elsewhere..
> >
> > Can't we instead just import javax.xml, org.w3c.dom, and org.xml.sax
> > into classpath, and let JAXP work on the concrete implementations of
> > that abstract API?
>
> Ideally this would be logical. However, the XML APIs are prone to
> backwards-incompatible (ABI) changes, and this means the interfaces and
> the implementations are much more tightly coupled.
>
> Additionally, once the current release of GNU JAXP is complete, I'd
> like to move towards JAXP 1.3, which has even more major changes.

OK. For the 0.11 snapshot I will remove the external gnujaxp and add to
the release notes that runtime, compiler, tool integrators are
encouraged to package or depend on GNU JAXP together with GNU Classpath.
I'll test the release against the just released GNU JAXP
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/classpathx/jaxp-1.1.tar.gz to make sure at least
things like Eclipse and ant keep working out of the box with such a
setup.