RE: TimeZone

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: RE: TimeZone
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:56:08 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 09:56, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> >
> > All my platform specific code actually produces hours already
> > so I never hit the code path that converts from seconds.
>
> Some time zones use a half hour offset, how are those handled?

Then it generates the offset as seconds. But I probably didn't have a
test case that generated a large number of negative seconds offset.

See the code in native/jni/java-util/java_util_VMTimeZone.c or
vm/reference/java/util/VMTimeZone.java:

            // Turn into hours if possible.
            if (gmt_offset % 3600 == 0)
              gmt_offset /= 3600;

As VMTimeZone.getDefaultTimeZoneId() explains:

     The
   * GMT offset can be in seconds, or where it is evenly divisible by
   * 3600, then it can be in hours.  The offset must be the time to
   * add to the local time to get GMT.