Re: java.lang.System changes

From: Steven Augart
Subject: Re: java.lang.System changes
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:12:24 -0500

Mark Wielaard wrote:

Would/Does the following patch help you out?

2004-11-12  Mark Wielaard  <address@hidden>

        * java/net/URL.java (cache_handlers): Removed field.
        (static): Removed block.
        (getURLStreamHandler): Don't use cache_handlers anymore.
Thanks for the attempt.  I'm sorry to say that it wasn't enough
to resolve the problem.  java.net.URLClassLoader.FileURLLoader's
initializer creates a java.io.File as part of its work.  But
java.io.File, in turn, has a class initializer that calls
System.getProperties, so the circular dependency remains.  (It calls
System.getProperties in order to get the value of file.separator.)

I received a suggestion in private mail from David Holmes (who's been
generous with his time in discussing this with me) that we could
break up the initialization of java.lang.System into two
explicitly-invoked phases, and that a VM could optionally request that the
initialization be broken up, based on a configuration setting.
I've asked him for permission to forward the full text of his suggestion
to the list.  I think that is the approach we will have to take.

--Steve A