ANN: Out-of-the-box SableVM support for GNU Classpath [was: Re: GNU Clas

From: Grzegorz B. Prokopski
Subject: ANN: Out-of-the-box SableVM support for GNU Classpath [was: Re: GNU Classpath 0.12 released]
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:59:35 -0500

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 19:10, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> We are pleased to announce a new developer snapshot release of GNU
> Classpath.

Congratulations on the release.  I also have some good news.

It is now possible to run SableVM Java Virtual Machine directly with
GNU Classpath.  For example I installed SableVM and GNU Classpath 0.12
into /tmp/testing, and did:

$ /tmp/testing/bin/java-sablevm -Xgnuclasspath:/tmp/testing HelloWorld
HelloWorld!

The setup is trivial, not even a Subversion client is necessary:

1. Install SableVM (only).  Fetch latest SableVM snapshot from

        http://sablevm.org/download/snapshot/ (latest is the first on top)

unpack, execute standard

        './configure --prefix=/what/ever && make install'

2. Fetch and install GNU Classpath with standard

        './configure --prefix=/foo/bar && make install'

3. Fetch gnucp-overrides.jar from the same directory at

        http://sablevm.org/download/snapshot/

from which you got your SableVM sources and put it into

/what/ever/share/sablevm/gnucp-overrides.jar

(it might be ie. /usr/local/share/sablevm/gnucp-overrides.jar in your case).

4. RUN IT!

        $ /what/ever/bin/java-sablevm -Xgnuclasspath:/foo/bar HelloWorld

Happy hacking!

                                Grzegorz B. Prokopski

                IMPORTANT NOTES - PLEASE READ

* This is an *experimental* feature.  Both in the sense that it has just
been deployed and in the sense that this method of running SableVM with
latest GNU Classpath is intended for GNU Classpath _developers_ mainly.

* Those who want to use well tested and supported releases of SableVM Java
Virtual Machine should continue to use "sablevm-classpath".

* In particular our "staging" (development) branch of sablevm-classpath is
being merged with GNU Classpath CVS and releases on regular basis.  Most
of the time it's a only few *days* "behind".

* The overrides.jar file will be autobuilt daily from the latest version
of sablevm-classpath.

* The gnucp-overrides.jar file might not contain all changes present in
sablevm-classpath but for various reasons absent in GNU Classpath.  It is
however intented that this file contained a minimal set of classes that
allow for exhaustive usage of GNU Classpath CVS versions with SableVM
Java Virtual Machine.  If a necessary file is missing it will be added.
--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski      <address@hidden>
Debian GNU/Linux           http://www.debian.org