Re: Build and install without compiling java files?

From: C. Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Build and install without compiling java files?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:45:49 -0500

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 14:52, Michael Koch wrote:

> > > I think shipping a glibj.zip is not good. This should be removed
> > > from source tarball.
> >
> > Just curious.. why do you say that?
>
> I think there is no real need for it. It just bloats the source
> tarball. All sources are included inside to tarball to build it.

Actually there is a pretty good reason to have the built classes
distributed.  The fact is that results vary according to which "free"
and broken compiler you use to compile Classpath.  None of them really
pass Jacks that I know of.  New 1.5 features aren't supported anywhere
in a production ready and easily available compiler (as in is already
part of a popular distribution), and we thankfully don't include those
in the main branch yet.

And actually including the glibj.zip is a very popular thing, at least
from actual users.  For the rest of us who would rather change or fix
things it matters very little.  Again this can probably be solved by
someone with a lot of initiative making something available to easily
integrate into jpackage environments or the like to handle the actual
distribution requirements vs. the developer requirements to only ship
source and no binaries.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>