Re: Build and install without compiling java files?

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: Build and install without compiling java files?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:48:18 -0600

Michael Koch wrote:
>>For what it's worth, I'm an actual user :-) and would like to see
>>it remain, along with a ./configure flag added allowing installing
>>it without rebuilding it. This would particularly help with people
>>using JC because when people build Classpath with the "wrong" Java
>>compiler, this causes all the pre-generated C source files that
>>ship with JC to become invalid and have to be regenerated, which
>>takes a long time.
>
> What about installation specific files like
> gnu.classpath.Configuration (I think this is the only one
> currently) ? Not all stuff is overwritable. Configuration.DEBUG comes
> to my mind.

That's true.. JC uses the default configuration, as do most VM's
I would guess, so the default Configuration.class should work fine.

Hmm... now I see Configuration.CLASSPATH_HOME, which of course will
be different depending on your configured --prefix... that one pretty
much kills the idea I guess.

This could still work if these variables were stored in properties
file within glibj.zip instead of as static final Java constants.
Then this file could be generated during the build and glibj.zip
updated accordingly (via 'zip -r').

However, that might break initialization dependencies, because we'd
have to do Properties.load(Class.getResourceAsStream()) early in
the startup process to get these values.

-Archie

*
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
the original message.
*