RE: RFC: gnu.classpath.SystemProperties

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: RE: RFC: gnu.classpath.SystemProperties
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:56:14 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 13:40, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> If nobody objects, this is going in later today.

I am a bit uneasy with this patch since it is not completely clear to me
how the VM is supposed to restrict access to the SystemProperties class.
It is a tricky interaction between the
SecurityManager.checkPackageAccess() and the way runtimes implement
method invocation on classes in different packages.

Could you describe how this precisely works?
Then we could see how hard/easy it is for the different runtimes to
actually make this work. If it is really hard then I would vote for a
different way of giving the "core classes" access to some of these
properties. My suggestion would be to add package local VMProperties
classes to each package that needs it (only 4 if I count correctly).