Re: AWT and Jikes RVM

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: AWT and Jikes RVM
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:35:53 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 9. Dezember 2004 08:20 schrieb Vasanth Venkatachalam:
> The problem is that for a simple AWT program that just
> displays a frame, the method GetJavaVM( ) gets called somewhere
> along the way. This in turn calls the native method CreateJavaVM(
> ), which raises an unimplementedNativeMethod exception. I have
> shown a snippet of the error at the bottom of this message.
>
> I looked around in the code for CreateJavaVM and found
> confusing inconsistencies. Its declared in VM_JNIFunctions.java and
> implemented in a file (syswrap.C) which isn't even compiled into
> the VM default. There seems to be a typo in the implementation
> (non-matching function prototype), and when I forced this file to
> be recompiled, I wasn't able to run any programs at all.
>
> I don't see how someone could possibly get AWT working without
> addressing this CreateJavaVM problem. I want to know how they got
> past this error.
>
> Here again is a snippet of the error message:
>
>  Lcom/ibm/JikesRVM/VM_DynamicLinker; unimplementedNativeMethod()V
> at line 41
>
> Lcom/ibm/JikesRVM/jni/VM_JNIFunctions;
> GetJavaVM(Lcom/ibm/JikesRVM/jni/VM_JNIEnvironment;Lcom/ibm/JikesRVM
>/VM_Address;) I
> at line 5395
>    <native frame>
>    <native frame>
>    Lgnu/java/awt/peer/gtk/GtkMainThread; gtkInit(I)V at line 0
>    Lgnu/java/awt/peer/gtk/GtkMainThread; run()V at line 102
>    Ljava/lang/Thread; run()V at line 270
>    Lcom/ibm/JikesRVM/VM_Thread; startoff()V at line 779
> JikesRVM: exit 124

Is this with GNU classpath 0.10 or 0.12 ? Are you sure it can find the
native libraries of GNU classpath ? Maybe you need to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Please play with the --enable-portable-native-sync configure option. I
know Steven added it while hacking on JikesRVM support.

Michael
--
Homepage: http://www.worldforge.org/