RE: Memory leak in java.lang.Thread ?

From: David Holmes
Subject: RE: Memory leak in java.lang.Thread ?
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:40:20 +1000

Jeroen writes:
> I've attached my first stab at implementing this.

Looks good to me. The only thing I'm a little concerned with is the
finalize() method. I know it is the correct thing to do, to avoid a
different form of "leak", but I dislike the idea of adding finalizers to
core classes like Thread. The "leak" would only occur for daemon-groups to
which a thread was added that wasn't started and got lost. This would seem
to represent an extremely small percentage of potential programs, while
finalize() adds some overhead to every single program. Does anyone actually
use daemon groups? Or actually destroy them? I guess some browser style
"hosting environments"  might.

Just a thought ...

David Holmes

PS. I'll be offline for a few days