RE: StringBuilder

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: StringBuilder
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:52:52 +0100

David Holmes wrote:
> If this is for Java 5.0 support then rewrite StringBuilder to
> use Atomics.

I considered this, but allocating yet another object didn't seem like a
good idea.

> I'm obviously missing some context for this however. Is the
> char[] really shared that often in practice with StringBuffer?

It is about sharing with String. Typical usage of a StringBuilder will
be to create it, do a few operations to build the string and then call
toString on it. It would be nice to reuse the char[] in the String
(because typically the StringBuilder will not be used anymore), but this
turns out to be a pretty hard problem.

Regards,
Jeroen