RE: GNU Classpath 0.13, ..., 1.0

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: RE: GNU Classpath 0.13, ..., 1.0
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:10:42 +0100

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 09:41 +0100, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > The (ambitious) goal is still to have a 1.0 release before (or around)
> > Fosdem (Brussels, 26/27 February 2005).
>
> Excuse me for being the skeptic again, but this seems outrageously
> unreasonable to me. We haven't even decided on what should be in the 1.0
> release and, frankly, I think we still have way too many quality issues
> to even be considering a 1.0 release.

I would have called it unrealistic ambitious, but I am afraid you are
right. We didn't manage to do a new developer snapshot after 4 week
(already 2 weeks late). But mostly because so much new and exciting work
is going on. We now have a javax.xml framework, javax.imageio is
starting to work, our locales support is really improving, etc. etc. For
Fosdem I want to spend one afternoon discussing everything that people
think should be done and want people will actually do before 1.0.

But I do want to try and get a release out end of the week/start of next
year. I will work on the last documentation and parser generator things
for our javax/gnu.xml stuff. Add some new examples that Graydon Hoare
and Paul Fisher sent me. And clean up some small build problems that
Michael Koch pointed out on irc.

If everybody can try to get (stable!) stuff in at the lastest on Friday
then I make and test a new developer snapshot (0.13) this weekend.

After that we have to see if we want to really switch to monthly or keep
doing bi-monthly releases.