Re: Mauve test question

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: Mauve test question
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:36:33 -0600

Stephen Crawley wrote:
I think (d) is mis-characterized.  If a test fails but it isn't a VM
or Classpath bug, then >>surely<< it must be a fault in the testcase
and/or the Mauve framework.  Please let's be clear about this.

For example:

  1) Tests for behavior that is beyond the scope of "the standard".
For example, testcases that test the names of classes returned by certain factory methods, or that test exceptions message strings
     are fundamentally broken.

  2) Tests that have been designed to match (Sun acknowledged) buggy
     JDK behavior or buggy specs / javadocs.

3) Tests that assume some VM-specific functionality or behavior. For example, almost any test for GC-related behavior is inevitably VM-specific, since there is no VM-independent way to force the GC to run.

  4) Tests that depend on environmental conditions.  For example,
some existing tests assume that the host machine can open socket connections to random machines/ports on other network. These
     break for me because I am behind a firewall.

IMO, all of the above are actually bugs in the Mauve testcases, and/or
problems in the way that they are organized / classified.

Yep, that's a good classification. My point is simply that even with these problems, the tests are still useful, and people want to run them, so we need some way of handling them.

-Archie